Choosing a first dance can be a tricky matter. While one of the least formal traditions of a wedding day, it’s by no means a straight forward choice for many people. Whether the first dance should be upbeat or romantic, couples often have different ideas about what the dance should entail – from a 30 second shuffle around the dance floor to a full on choreographed routine – we’ve seen it all! Not only have we seen it all – but we’ve played most of them live! The CoverUps offer to learn and play your first dance live within the quoted fee… why not get an instant, no obligation quote now?
Get A Quote
We’ve compiled a list of songs over the years that we have played, or thought really should be played live as first dances!
Having a live band available gives the opportunity for something truly unique for your first dance. Even a song heard a thousand times can seem completely fresh when a live band perform it for you.
If there’s one thing we would want you to take from this post it is this: the choice of song for your first dance is completely your call.
The following 101 songs are at most suggestions of songs we think could work well, and at least something to help inspire you. It’s by no means a list of songs you have to choose from – or even a list of songs we already know!
I hope you enjoy this list of first dances, and find it useful in choosing your own. Most of the tracks are available to listen to through spotify. Click this link to be taken to the playlist: The CoverUps – 101 First Dances for Live Wedding Bands
Below are 20 great tracks from the last 20 years or so. As a youthful pop rock band, these tracks sit right in the CoverUps remit. Choosing the right first dance can be as simple as finding a song that has a certain nostalgia for you, as a couple and as individuals.
- All I Want Is You – U2
- Always – Bon Jovi
- Amazed – Lonestar
- Better Together – Jack Johnson
- Chasing Cars – Snow Patrol
- Come Back To What You Know – Embrace
- Everything – Michael Buble
- Greatest Day – Take That
- If You’re Not The One – Daniel Bedingfield
- Iris – Goo Goo Dolls
- It’s Only Natural – Crowded House
- Never Be Lonely – The Feeling
- Rule The World – Take That
- She Will Be Loved – Maroon 5
- She’s the One – Robbie Williams (originally World Party)
- This Year’s Love – David Gray
- Truly Madly Deeply – Savage Garden
- Wonderwall – Oasis
- You Do Something to Me – Paul Weller
- You Give Me Something – James Morrison
10 Upbeat First Dances
The traditional slow dance as a first dance is not for everyone. We’re seeing more and more couples just excited to be married, and wanting to show this through the first dance. Having an upbeat first dance doesn’t mean you need a choreographed routine; it can even be a great way to encourage everyone else onto the dance floor more quickly!
- 10,000 Nights – Alphabeat
- All About You – McFly
- Beautiful World – Take That
- Crazy Little Thing Called Love – Queen
- Fascination- Alphabeat
- Generator – The Holloways
- Half of My Heart – John Mayer
- I Luv You – The Ordinary Boys
- I Want You Now – The Feeling
- Lucky – Jason Mraz
5 Brit Pop Greats
As children of the Brit Pop era, these tracks always get us excited! You may find that these spark off your own memories, or that other musical genres or eras excite you; be it punk, pop, electronica, new wave, baggy… it’s completely up to you! Here are a few brit-pop tracks you might like to choose:
- Found You – Dodgy
- If I Could Talk I’d Tell You – The Leamonheads
- Late in the Day – Supergrass
- Shining Light – Ash
- You and Me Song – The Wannadies
10 Wonderful Acoustic First Dances
Often it’s the feel of a song that speaks more clearly than the words; and acoustic songs often match closely the mood that a couple want to set for their first dance. It’s worth mentioning at this point that many great songs can be arranged in a more mellow acoustic fasion; something the CoverUps are always happy to consider. If you like the feel of these songs, but prefer another, we would be delighted to try an alternative arrangement for you.
- Better Man – James Morrison
- Delicate – Damien Rice
- Dream Catch Me – Newton Faulkner
- Faith – Nizlopi
- Forever – Turin Brakes
- Heartbeats – Jose Gonzalez
- I’m Yours – Jason Mraz
- I’m Yours – The Script
- The Everthere – Elbow
- Unintended – Muse
5 Beatles Songs
Often hailed in musical circles as one of the worlds most underrated (!) bands, the Beatles have countless great songs, many of which are ideal as a first dance. Whether it’s the Beatles, or another act, choosing a song by your favourite artist is a great way to be reminded of your wedding day for years to come. Here are 5 of our choices of Beatles songs for first dances:
- All You Need Is Love
- Here Comes The Sun
- Here There and Everywhere
- I Want To Hold Your Hand
Five First Dances for Fans
Following on from the last section, here’s a list of songs ‘for the fans’. These are tracks that may be the obvious ones; whether by an artist not known for sensitive songs, or just an artist not well known! Again, these are just a few we think you might like – if there’s a band you’re a great fan of, by all means choose one of their songs. It’s your first dance, you can choose what you like!
- November Rain – Guns n’ Roses
- The Bones of You – Elbow
- This One’s for You – Ed Harcourt
- You and Me – Lifehouse
- You’re So Great – Blur
Many of those getting married over the last few years have were born in, or grew up in the 80s. The tracks below demonstrate that the 80s weren’t all electronic and garish!
- Have I Told You Lately – Van Morrison
- Heaven – Bryan Adams
- I Just Called To Say I Love You – Stevie Wonder
- I Want to Know What Love Is – Foreginer
- It Must Be Love – Madness (but we’d recommend the original Labi Siffri version!)
- True Colors – Cyndi Lauper
5 Rock First Dances
As a pop and rock act, the CoverUps are well versed in the heavier end of the genre. While it’s not always appropriate to play an entire set of heavy metal, there are some great choices of first dance for those who are after some rock guitar to let their hair down to!
- All About Lovin’ You – Bon Jovi
- Don’t Want to Miss A Thing – Aerosmith
- I Can’t Stop Loving You – Van Halen
- Nothing Else Matters – Metallica
- Patience – Guns N Roses
First Dances from the Old School
Searching back over 30 years can yield some absolutely wonderful choices for first dances. The 50s through to the 70s contain amongst our most regular first dance songs – and they scarcely scratch the surface of choices available! Below are 21 memorable songs from over 30 years of popular music.
- Can’t Take My Eyes Off You – Andy Williams
- Daydream – The Lovin’ Spoonful
- Fly Me To The Moon – Frank Sinatra
- God Only Knows – The Beach Boys
- How Sweet It Is To Be Loved By You – Marvin Gaye
- Lets Stay Together – Al Green
- Lovely Day – Bill Withers
- Stand By Me – Ben E King
- The Way You Look Tonight – Tony Bennet, Dean Martin
- The Wonder of You – Elvis
- We Have All The Time In The World – Louis Armstrong
- What A Difference a Day Made – Dinah Washington
- Your Song – Elton John
Alternative First Dances
If the last section was a right turn off, and the next is not your cup of tea, then this might be the list where you find your first dance! A less well known choice of first dance can be exactly what a couple are looking for to reflect the uniqueness of their taste, and of them as a couple. They might be a song from the soundtrack of your favourite film, or an album track by your favourite artist, or just a track you haven’t heard for ages – so if you don’t find what you’re looking for here, scan your collection!
- Anyone Else But You – The Moldy Peaches
- Do You Remember – Jack Johnson
- Half Light – Athlete
- Made Up Love Song #43 – Guillemots
- One Day Like This – Elbow
- Secret Smile – Semisonic
- Sewn – The Feeling
- Sigh No More – Mumford and Sons
- The Seaside – Opaque Nature
- Use Somebody – Kings of Leon
- You’re My Best Friend – Queen
10 Classic Choices for First Dance
Some people (perhaps those choosing a first dance from the last list) avoid some of these tracks as ‘done before’, or ‘too obvious’, but there’s a good reason the following songs are so popular as first dances. It’s completely your choice, so don’t let the popularity of certain songs put you off having the song you really want!
- (Everything I Do) I Do It For You – Bryan Adams
- As – Stevie Wonder
- Fields of Gold – Sting
- I Will Always Love You – Whitney Houston
- Just The Way You Are – Billy Joel
- More Than Words – Extreme
- Right Here Waiting – Richard Marx
- Somebody To Love – Queen
- The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face – Roberta Flack (also performed by the Stereophonics and George Michael)
- Wonderful Tonight – Eric Clapton
A First Dance With A Special Place in the CoverUps’ Hearts!
At his wedding in 2007, founding member of the CoverUps Mike Ashelby danced with his wife to the track below. It’s not the best known of songs, but as fans of the band it resonated strongly with them; and it still takes them back to their wedding day whenever they hear it.
Get A Quote